+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SC1 vs SC2

Name
    Colin Corbo

SC1 vs SC2

Hi Guys,
    First post. I have ridden with Tonys 2 Seasons now. 2017 will be my 3rd. I had SC2s front and rear (set lasted all year 10 track days) and still have tons of tread left. I have a 996 Ducati. I was bumped up to Yellow group last day of 2016. Any reason for me to go to SC1s? I was looking for a tire with a wider track temperature range and the Pirelli website kept pointing to the SC1s . . . thoughts?

Name
    SVeeee
    Hi, congrats on the bump! First post too?
    I have the same question and the answer from Mike (GOMTAG) is for hot days SC2F SC1R is what most people go for.
    This is what i will try this season on a R6. I was mainly like you SC2' for many seasons on an SV650.

Name
    Webb Pinner
    Not to go against anything Mike said (who has always treated me great) but just to provide some additional data. I've switched between SC1s and SC2s all last season depending on what Mike had in stock for my bike. Regardless of ambient temperature, once the tires got up to temp (after about a lap) I could never tell the difference.

Given that you mentioned that the tires are soon to be a year old, I would be curious to hear if the age of a tire ever deteriorates it's performance. On the last track day last year I picked up an extra front tire but did not mount it. Mike and Tony both asked if the tire was going to be in a heated space for the winter and said to avoid letting the tire 'freeze'. To me this implies that age (and environmental conditions) can degrade tire performance.

Congrats on the Yellow bump!

FYI - I get about 3 days out of a rear tire and 6 out of a front tire. I'm on a 848 Ducati. I'm in (the slower end of the) Black group.
    Last edited by webbpinner; 04-18-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Name
    SVeeee
    Good to know... I would say i'm at the tail end of black group on the SV. Not sure what the R6 will do for me but it should make my passing on the straights easier. On the SV the front tire is the same SC2 from 2 full seasons of use. The rear changed 2x a year. I think ideally i should get away with 1 rear per season but i had tear issues.
    I'm hoping the front will last 2x as long as the rear for the R6.

Name
    Webb Pinner
    Switching from a V-Twin to an Inline-Four should be a fun change... also a fair bump in horsepower. Everyone's mileage will very but I'd expect that an increase in horsepower would translate into a decrease of rear tire-life. I also get about 2x the life out of a front (I'll update that in my previous post).

Name
    SVeeee
    I suspect an increase of tire wear as well but an increase of speed
    Also, I have always ran supercorsa Dots tires. For the R6, I will try superbike slicks. What about you?

Name
    Webb Pinner
    I haven't tried non-DOT slicks but probably should. My 848 hasn't worn a license plate in 3 years and last year I built up a set of wheels with rain tires (FYI - rain tires are magic) so there's no need for the bike to have DOT tires or tires with sipes. My main concern with moving to slicks, but this is something I need to confirm, is whether or not slicks mandate tire warmers. Everyone I hang out with at the track that run slicks use warmers. My issue with warmers is the need to then bring a generator to tracks. Sure I could mooch, but I'd like to remain self-sufficient if possible. I will say I'm a little jealous of folks running warmers since they need 2 corners (or less) before their tires are up to temp and they're dragging knee everywhere.
    Last edited by webbpinner; 04-18-2017 at 04:09 PM.

Name
    SVeeee
    I love warmers... cheap insurance from a cold tire fall and i'm impatient when it comes to dragging knee. Do it, you won't regret it.

Name
    Adam Butler
    Congrats on the yellow bump. Tire choice is really a personal preference. I Like the SC 1 myself. I get good life out of it too if I have the pressures right. You can't go wrong with either tire. The biggest thing you can do is have the tire at the right hot pressures. I run without warmers and start out about 27R 30F for follow the leader cold. I adjust down to 30R 32F as soon as I come in. I do this for the first couple sessions and then they are good to go for the day. I'm a big guy on a 1000 and have found slightly higher pressures work better for me.

Some of the fun in this activity is testing things like tire compounds and pressures to see what feels best for you. We all like different feel. The fun is finding what you like.

See you out there.

Adam
    Instructor #8
    2012 LRRS Rookie of the Year

"What the odds don't know is this isn't a math test"
    "That which you manifest is before you"
    CCS/LRRS EX 820
    08 FJR
    05 SV650 AKA "Lucy"
    05 SV650 AKA "Daisy"
    94 CR250

+ Reply to Thread